I love Mexican food but lets be honest, it’s not very kind to our waistlines. It is usually loaded with a ton of fat and the carbs add up super quick between the chips, tortillas and margaritas.
As you know I’m not one to give up good food, but the truth is you won’t even miss the tortillas in this dish or sacrifice any taste.
Try this healthy, low carb, low fat meal for the entire family AND have room for dessert (or that margarita)!
2 Large Zucchini
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1 lb Shredded Chicken
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 cup Red Enchilada Sauce
1 Cup 2% Shredded Mexican Cheese
Sour Cream (or Greek Yogurt as a substitute) for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large skillet heat oil. On medium heat, add onion, and season with garlic powder, cumin and chili powder when onion becomes a bit soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and 1 cup of enchilada sauce and stir until combined.
- Meanwhile, you can either take the zucchini, cut in half and make ribbons with a vegetable peeler, or if you prefer you can spirialize them. The picture shown above is a combination of both.
- Place the zucchini in an oven safe dish and top with enchilada mixture.
- Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream or greek yogurt.
Macros for 4 servings: (this does not include sour cream or greek yogurt and is based on 400 grams of zucchini)
Calories 302 Protein 41g Carbs 10g Fat 10g